Wednesday, February 6, 2013

Vegetarian Spaghetti*

Ok, so not *really* spaghetti because I used Quinoa instead of noodles, but yeah.

Vegetarian Spaghetti Sauce

Bunnyworm ate ALL of hers

1 medium yellow onion chopped
1 zucchini chopped (I actually used my heart veggie punch to punch out the middle then cut the outsides up)
4+ ounces mushrooms (I used portabella)
1 head of garlic minced (you can use less if you don't like garlic)
1 handful (about 1/2 cup) baby spinach chopped
3 roma tomatoes chopped
1 small can tomato sauce (i use publix brand--4 for a $1!!)
Basil
Oregano
Thyme
Salt
Pepper
Enough Olive oil to coat bottom of pan

I am terrible at measuring things.

Heat olive oil in pan (I used cast iron pan) and Iberia brand olive oil. It has a very strong flavor and scent and is AMAZING. To me, it tastes much better than the pompeian brand stuff I usually buy--and is cheaper.

Saute onion and garlic until onion is translucent then throw all the veggies in. Pour in tomato sauce, then add all your herbage. I don't generally measure my herbs, I just add whatever seems right. Salt *sparingly*. Seriously. Salt may be absolutely delicious and is essential in small quantities, but it will give you hypertension. Add as much pepper as you want. I used to not like pepper when I was a kid, but I do now.

 Saute all the stuff until the zucchini is cooked through. It's done. I wish I had taken pictures.


THE QUINOA (a basic recipe)
1 cup Quinoa, rinsed well
2 cups water (you can use broth or stock if you really want to)
1 tbsp olive oil

1.) Roll oil around a heavy bottom pot to coat
2.) Dump rinsed (the rinsing is important otherwise the quinoa will be very bitter) quinoa in pot and stir continuously until the quinoa starts jumping and making hissing/popping noises.
3.) Pour the water in, bring to a boil, cover, reduce heat to low and simmer for 20 minutes or until all the water is absorbed. Fluff with fork. Cover to keep it from drying out.


Bunnyworm *loved* this. She ate 2 bowls worth and got nice and sticky. She went straight from the highchair to the tub. The floor didn't even have to be mopped this time! I have no idea what the Daddybeast is going to think of it. He has a cold and is working late.

I want to bake a cake. Maybe I will...

update: I did. I used this recipe
http://gotnomilk.wordpress.com/2008/09/10/quick-and-easy-chocolate-cake/#

No comments:

Post a Comment